Who doesn't love Hazelnuts? This easy hazelnut Cake recipe is sure to be a hit for all hazelnut lovers out there. The cake's texture is super fluffy and soft, with a beautiful nutty flavor.
One of the things that I really LOVE about this cake is that you don't need to have any complex kitchen equipment to make this recipe. If you have a baking oven, mixing bowl and baking pan, then you're good to go.
It is basically made with all-purpose flour and ground hazelnut. However, I like to roast the hazelnut before using it.
The cake is SO delicious, and using the hazelnut really adds a unique, nutty flavour to this cake. Ah, and kids LOVE it!
Complete information on ingredients and quantities is in the recipe card at the end of the post.
Flour: I use all purpose flour (Plain flour).
Whole hazelnuts (roasted): This is the star of the recipe and is essentially where the recipe derives its main flavors from.
Orange zest: Orange zest enhances the flavor. You may replace it with vanilla extract.
Baking powder: It is a leavening agent that makes your cake rise while baking.
Butter: I use ¾ cup of butter at room temperature.
Granulated sugar: It is the main sweetening agent for your cake. It can be replaced with brown sugar.
Eggs: I use 2 large eggs.
Milk: It gives moisture to your cake recipe, and it also provides a lighter texture to cakes.
How To Make Hazelnut Cake - Step By Step
One: Roast the hazelnuts in a large skillet over medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
Two: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a 22 cm springform pan or a cake pan with parchment paper.
Three: Place the flour, toasted hazelnuts, orange zest, baking powder, and salt in the food processor and process on high speed until the hazelnuts are finely grounded.
Four: Using a kitchen mixer or by hand, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
Five: Add the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated.
Six: Add the flour mixture, followed by the milk, and whisk until well combined/incorporated.
Tip: Do not overbeat your cake; this will make it too dense. Beat only until the ingredients are properly incorporated.
Seven: Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Tip: Baking cake at the center of the oven will make sure that your cake bakes evenly.
Eight: Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 15-20 minutes, then take it out of the tin and put it on a wire rack to completely cool.
- Do not forget to preheat your oven.
- Make sure to use fresh ingredients at room temperature ingredients.
- Make sure to line your baking pans with baking/parchment paper. This will make it easier for you to take the cake out of the pan when it’s cool without it breaking.
- You can add a layer of frosting to this Hazelnut Cake by melting your favorite chocolate – be it dark chocolate or milk chocolate – to make a ganache frosting.
- Make a chocolate hazelnut cake by adding melted chocolate or some chocolate chips to the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into a 12 cup muffin tin to make hazelnut muffins, and don't forget to adjust the baking time accordingly.
- Use hazelnut flour instead of grinding the whole hazelnuts into fine powder.
Room Temperature: I keep this cake in a sealed container at room temperature for about two to three days or refrigerate it for up to a week.
Freeze: You can also freeze the cake by putting it in an airtight container and freezing it. This will make the cake last for a month.
The trick is to get a toothpick and stick it in the middle of the cake that you’re baking. If the toothpick comes out without too much of the batter sticking to it or if it comes out clean, then your cake is baked well and can be taken out of the oven.
To roast the hazelnuts, heat the oven and spread them on a baking tray and roast them in the oven at 220 C / 430 F for 10 minutes.
More Cake Recipes
- Easy Rock Cakes Recipe
- Jam and Coconut Cake
- Moist Cherry Cake Recipe
- Orange Drizzle Cake
- Lemon Victoria Sponge With Lemon Curd
I hope you like this recipe! Follow Recipe Tale on Pinterest to keep up-to-date with all new recipes.
Hazelnut Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole hazelnuts , roasted
- 1 tablespoon orange zest , finely grated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter , room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- Roast the hazelnuts in a large skillet over medium heat for 10-15 miutes.1 ½ cups whole hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a 22 cm baking pan with parchment pepper.
- Place the flour, hazelnuts, orange zest, baking powder, and salt in the food processor and beat until the hazelnuts are finely ground.1 ½ cups whole hazelnuts, 1 tablespoon orange zest, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, 2 cups all purpose flour
- Now, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.¾ cup butter, 1 cup granulated sugar
- Add the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated.2 eggs
- Now, add the flour mixture and the milk, and whisk until combined.¼ cup milk
- Scoop the batter into the baking pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 15-20 minutes, then take it out of the tin and put it on a wire rack to completely cool.