This Bon Bon Chicken is a unique yet delicious spin on your usual chicken salad. Juicy chicken pieces mixed with veggies and flavored with sweet and nutty Asian sauce.
Bon Bon Chicken
I LOVE this salad since it is SO easy to prepare, and the texture of the chicken is still very much preserved. You still get that juicy mouthful of meat even though the chicken is served shredded.
Plus, the sauce is oh-so flavorful; it really elevates this dish to the next level.
What is in the recipe?
Complete information on ingredients and quantities is in the recipe card at the end of the post.
Chicken breasts: I use boneless and skinless chicken breasts because they are tender and can hold and absorb flavor well.
Fresh Ginger: I add fresh ginger when cooking the chicken; it adds aromatic flavor and enhances the overall taste.
Carrot: Carrots add flavor, color and crunch to the dish.
Cherry tomatoes: They add a bit of tanginess and provide a balance of flavor to the dish.
Green onions: Green onions add flavor to the dish.
For the sauce, I use soy sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, ground coriander, lemon zest, salt and black pepper.
How To Make Bon Bon Chicken?
One: (To make the sauce) In a small bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients and then set aside.
Tip: Make sure to taste your sauce before setting it aside. This is important so you can add anything that is missing in taste.
Two: (To cook the chicken) In boiled water, add the chicken breast and the ginger in a large saucepan and cook over high heat for 8-10 minutes or until fully cooked.
Three: Take the chicken out of the hot water and shred them with a fork or your hands.
Four: Put the shredded chicken in a large mixing bowl, add in the green onions, carrot, and cherry tomatoes, and mix well.
Five: Pour the sauce over and mix everything until combined; garnish as desired, then serve.
- If you don’t have chicken breast, you can also use chicken thighs.
- You can add chili oil to the sauce if you are a fan of spicy food
- You may garnish your chicken salad with some fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Add a tablespoon of peanut butter to the sauce for extra flavor.
I like to serve this dish hot. Here are my suggestions for serving it: You can serve this as a meal on top of noodles; it also goes well with a hot, steaming bowl of cooked rice. You can get creative and use it as a filling for tacos.
I store leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days. You may also freeze this dish in a well-sealed container for 1-2 months.
Reheating is also simple, just put the food in a microwavable container and microwave for 2 minutes. You can also opt to heat the food in a pan on the stovetop over medium heat.
More Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Katsu Curry
- Easy Lime Coconut Chicken
- Devilled Chicken
- Crispy Fried Chicken Fingers
- Chinese Peanut Butter Chicken Recipe
- Mexican Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Panko Breaded Chicken Breast (Baked)
Bon Bon Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts , boneless
- 2 slices ginger
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , cut into halves
- 1 carrot , shredded
- 3 spring onions , sliced
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic , crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon spring onions , chopped
- To make the sauce: In a small mixing bowl, mix together all the sauce ingredients and then set aside.2 tablespoon light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 2 cloves garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon ground coriander, ¼ teaspoon lemon zest, 1 tablespoon spring onions
- To cook the chicken: In boiled water, add the chicken breast and the ginger and cook for 8-10 minutes or until fully cooked.2 chicken breasts, 2 slices ginger, 2 cups water
- Take the chicken out of the hot water and shred them with a fork or your hands.
- Put the shredded chicken in a large mixing bowl, add in the spring onions, carrot and cherry tomatoes, and mix well.1 cup cherry tomatoes, 1 carrot, 3 spring onions
- Pour the sauce over and mix everything together until combined, then serve.